AMAZING STADIUM – MOTERA STADIUM, AHMEDABAD
World’s Largest Cricket stadium, Motera Stadium, Ahmedabad
STADIUM’S NEW SPECTACLE
As in other spheres of activities, in the digital age, sports stadiums are no longer restricted to the game. They have become a spectacle themselves. The stadiums no longer serve the purpose of showcasing a sport alone and also have become a stage for people to turn to for a good time, to be entertained, to be seen on giant screens, and to be able to document their experience on social media.
Be it in Optus stadium at Perth, Camp Nou, the home ground of FC Barcelona or the largest stadium in Europe, Old Trafford or Wembley Stadium, sports stadiums are no longer confined to the sports of football or cricket, they moved beyond the game and are an attraction unto themselves.
MOTERA – THE WORLD’S LARGEST STADIUM
With the above theme in mind, the reconstruction of the Sardar Patel stadium, Motera , Ahmedabad ( popularly known as “Motera stadium”) started in Jan. 2017, completed in Feb. 2020 and was inaugurated in Feb.2020 . The World’s two largest Democracy leaders viz., U.S. President Donald Trump & Hon’ble P.M. of India Narendra Modiji attended a grand reception of 1,10,000 given in honour of the U.S. President on Feb.24, 2020. The reconstruction was done at a cost of Rs. 7 billion in a bowl shape. The new Motera stadium is spread over 63 acres and has 3 entry points . The stadium with 1,10,000 capacity is the World’s largest cricket stadium and second largest Sports stadium in the world. And now India can boast that they have largest cricket stadium in the world.
See the below link on the stadium.
A world renowned Designer M/s. Populous, An Australian architect firm with their Corporate signature slogan “ We design the places where people love to be together “ true to their slogan designed this spectacular stadium in Ahmedabad built to last a century boasts of several unique aspects. The ground is home to the Gujarat Cricket Association and was built in collaboration with India’s top contractor Larsen & Toubro.
The two tier bowl design consists of large seating tiers, each with approximately 50,000 general admission seats, designed to fill the lower levels for smaller events and still bring that sense of occasion, the sight and the sound to make every experience a special one. The structure also eliminates the need for pillars for giving the spectators an unobstructed view of the entire field from any place in the stadium.
Another international firm M/s. Signify, with headquarters at The Netherlands has been assigned the task of illuminating the stadium. Signify has equipped the Motera Stadium, one of India’s premier cricket stadiums, with 580 luminaries of Philips Arena LED Floodlighting system ( instead of traditional flood lights) for day-and-night games and it complies with the ICC (International Cricket Council) Broadcasting standards for sports illumination. Clusters of LED Lights carefully positioned on the roof to avoid multiple shadows of players on the pitch and an efficient drainage system. It is also a water & energy efficient green construction.
- A club house with 55 ROOMS
- A Gymnasium
- Olympic size Swimming Pool
- Party Hall
- 3D Projector theatre
- 76 Corporate Boxes with a seating capacity of 25 each
- 4 Team Dressing rooms
- Food court and hospitality area in each stand
- Stadium also houses a Cricket Academy and Indoor practice facilities
- LED lights are installed on the roof, which is a first in India
- Parking area has space for 3000 cars & 10,000 bikes
- Physiotherapy and hydrotherapy system placed inside the stadium which can provide treatment to injured players on the field itself
- The stadium also has a huge ramp designed to facilitate movement of around 60,000 people simultaneously
- It is the FIRST GREEN STADIUM of India with 100% LED lights
- Rainwater Harvesting capacity of 32 lakh litres and 11 acres area planted with rich bio-diversity
- The stadium exists in Tiers to accommodate smaller events and maintain the atmosphere for spectators even when the bowl is not full
- Separate facilities for Disabled persons is available
- As Ahmedabad city is prone to earthquakes, rings float between the bowl and roof via radical spokes to allow for movement in time of seismic activity (earthquake).
- 11 acres of vegetation to enhance bio-diversity
SOIL & DRAINAGE SYSTEM
- 11 pitches with both red & black soil are laid which will be bouncy , spin friendly or mix of both
- The ground will be ready in 30 minutes after the rain. This stadium also has used sub surface drainage system which will enable the ground to get ready in quick time to start the match
This spectacular stadium is going to host England its first international match, (after renovation), in Feb.2021 two Test matches and 5 T20Is.