OPTUS STADIUM, PERTH- THE BEST STADIUM
Photo courtesy : Optus Stadium
The “Optus “ a Telecom company secured the naming rights of the stadium and hence called “Optus” stadium. For cricket purposes, it is still called Perth stadium, Australia.
The multi-purpose stadium opened in Jan.2018 also hosts events like Concerts And live shows, and games like Cricket, Rugby league besides Soccer (AFL) and private events also.
AFL (Australian Football League) was the most highly attended event in2018 with 1.3 million watching the game.
Around 120000 were at Ed Sheeran’s 2 shows, Taylor Swift’s Reputation stadium tour concert attracted 48,405 fans. Cricket also attracted 81,000 for the Test match between India & Australia in Dec. 2018.
2 Million people attended major sport and entertainment events at the Stadium in 2018 with a gate receipt of $129 million.
The stadium also hosted Manchester United Australia Tour playing its two matches
In July 2019 with Perth Glory and Leeds United attracting 1,00,000 fans and
The Stadium was decorated with Red lights.
The most stunning beautiful Optus stadium bagged the prestigious 2019 Prix Versailles International Architecture Award for the Most beautiful stadium in the world and also won Australia’s Best stadium In 2019 stadium Awards, winning by public vote on the Austadiums website.
The stadium hosted its first international cricket Test match on 14th Dec.2018 when India Played its 2nd Test here and Australia won this test by 146 runs.
- 5 drop-in wickets
- 16 Outdoor practice wickets
- Playing surface 177 m x 141 cm
- 60000 seats capacity
- Sight screens positioned to reduce impact on fan views
- 2 dedicated player viewing rooms with direct access to changing rooms and playing surface
- More than 50 food and beverage outlets
- The Locker room offers fans the opportunity to watch the players warm up and view the post-match media conference
- The Skyview lounge is located underneath a super screen. Patrons can stand and watch an event
- The Riverview Rooms on the western end provide spectacular views across Swan River and can operate independently or combined accommodating a total of 1200 people in one connected space.
- 50 hectares of ground level parking and 12.5 hectares additional land for a multi-storey car park
- Optus stadium caters for everyone regardless of age, experience or ability
- Individuals requiring Universal Access (IRUA) features of the stadium :-
* 360 degree view across all general admission levels
* IRUA seating throughout the stadium
* Over 60 Universal accessible toilets
- 12 Lifts throughout the system
- First aid services are available for all patrons
- The stadium has been built with integrated train, bus and pedestrian solutions to provide spectators with multiple transport options. Perth stadium train station gives fans easy access to the venue
- 450 wheelchair positions and 327 Enhanced Amenity seating for people that have mobility requirements that are not available in wheel chairs.
- State-of-art team facilities include an indoor cricket warm-up and practice wicket for each team
- Secure access from changing rooms to indoor & outdoor practice wickets
- Ice baths & Spas to maximise player recovery
- Media facilities that have the ability to accommodate an increased international contingent for major tests or ODIs.
- Opportunity to use drop-in seats on East and West boundaries to bring fans closer to the action
Drop-in wickets have been used in Australia since 1996 and are currently in use at MCG, Spotless stadium, Sydney, Ethiad stadium, Melbourne & Adelaide Oval and now in Perth. A proto type drop-in tray and wicket has been developed with the same soil profile and grass as the current WACA ground cricket. Following successful completion of the testing phase, an additional 4 drop-in cricket wickets were produced and the footings installed in the stadium playing surface.
There is no roof in the arena. A big video screen is installed.
Area dimension : 165 m x 130 m
There is no public parking on event days.
2 million people attended major sport and entertainment events at Optus stadium in 2018 in the inaugural year with the revenue $ 129 million economic benefit. AFL was most highly attended event in 2018 with 1.3 m watching the game. A total of 1,20,979 at Ed Sheeran’s 2 shows and Taylor Swift’s Reputation stadium tour attracted 48,405 fans.
India Versus Australia Test cricket in Dec.2018 also attracted a crowd of 81,104 for the test. And Aus & England ODI a record attendance of 53,781 spectators for a single day cricket.